Perhaps the biggest vote of confidence to the government’s free SHS policy was given by the debaters of Amasaman Secondary and Technical School, who have argued succinctly that ‘ the future of Ghana’s education is bright with free SHS. ‘
Among other things they said free SHS when introduced will:
1. Remedy the ills in our society which includes illiteracy and unemployment.
2. Improve the general quality of life of the citizenry since majority will at least read and write
3. Increase the rate of enrollment in our schools, which will make most of our children educated.
4. Students will focus on studying since they will be in school and not home looking for fees.
4. It will provide equal opportunity for all students to explore their God given talents and abilities.
5. It will bring better governance since more of the citizenry will be educated and make informed and right choices when choosing their representatives for leadership. They will also be better equipped to check corruption.
Master Owusu Banahene Ebenezer and Master Clyde Harrison Eshun who represented the school spoke with show host Akyena Brantuo on Ahotor FM’s Mmabunu Mmbre on Saturday 11th March 2017. It was a debate between them and their colleagues from Nugua Secondary school, who won the day speaking against the motion.
Daniel Koranteng Kwagyiri |ahotoronline.com| Ghana.