The Duke of Edinburgh is giving up his public duties from the autumn, Buckingham Palace has announced.
The palace said Prince Philip, who turns 96 next month, had taken the decision with the “full support” of the Queen.
The Duke appeared to be in good health on Wednesday and well enough to go about his usual business.
He opened the new £25m Warner Stand at Lord’s cricket ground, named after former England captain Pelham Warner.
It appears he believes the time has come to take a step back from royal duties that can often involve extensive travel.
But a royal aide stressed he would continue to attend royal events and not completely disappear from public life.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement: “Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen.
“Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.
“The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron, President or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he will continue to be associated, although he will no longer play an active role by attending engagements.
“Her Majesty will continue to carry out a full programme of official engagements with the support of members of the Royal Family.”
Thursday’s announcement followed an emergency meeting of the royal household at Buckingham Palace, ahead of which officials asserted there was “no cause for alarm”.