Wednesday , November 14 2018 4:18 pm
Home / General News / I was not responsible for day to day affairs of the bank, Otabil fights back

I was not responsible for day to day affairs of the bank, Otabil fights back

Board Chairman of defunct Capital Bank, Dr. Mensah Otabil, says he is cooperating with the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) in the investigation of the collapse of the bank.

In a press statement signed by the Head pastor of International Central Gospel Church (ICGC) sighted by ahotoronline, he has denied of any wrong doing

Capital Bank collapsed a year ago together with UT bank because according to the Bank of Ghana, the two banks were “deeply insolvent.” and both banks were subsequently acquired by GCB

But a leaked investigative report had shown that officials of Capital bank squandered some GHc610 million liquidity support given it by the central bank.

The report also noted that instead of using the money to resuscitate Capital bank, the management, with the approval of the Board Chair, diverted the money for other uses, leading to the eventual collapse of the financial institution in August 2017.

In the face of the damning report, Mr. Mensah otabil has insisted that decisions made were in the best interest of Ghana

“Since the takeover of the bank exactly a year ago today, various mandated state institutions have been investigating and working to arrive at a comprehensive understanding of what happened, why it happened and who was responsible for what. I have been invited by EOCO and I have submitted myself to their processes and answered all their questions faithfully,” he said in a statement

 

Below is the full statement from Otabil:

PRESS RELEASE FROM PASTOR MENSA OTABIL RE: CAPITAL BANK AND RELATED MATTERS

Greetings!

1. I have observed with concern, the ongoing media discussions regarding developments in the Banking Sector and my role either directly or indirectly.

2. I accepted to be Board Chairman of Capital Bank in a bid to help strengthen a promising Ghanaian enterprise that had potential but also challenges. I was excited about the prospects of a young man from a disadvantaged background who was daring to create opportunities and employment.

3. My position was a non-executive role. I was therefore not involved in the day-to-day management and operations of the Bank.

4. In the course of time, some decisions made turned out well while some did not turn out as well as had been anticipated. As far as I can tell, everything was done with the best of intentions and the interest of various stakeholders in mind.

5. My foremost concern, as has been the case over the past year, is for the well-being of those who lost their jobs and those who may have been adversely affected in any way as a result of these developments. My heart goes out to them and to their dependents. I continue to pray for God’s guidance and sustenance as they navigate the course of their lives.

6. Since the takeover of the bank exactly a year ago today, various mandated state institutions have been investigating and working to arrive at a comprehensive understanding of what happened, why it happened and who was responsible for what. I have been invited by EOCO and I have submitted myself to their processes and answered all their questions faithfully.

7. For some time now, many discussion platforms have made varied references to me and to my perceived role. Some have reached out to me for clarifications regarding issues that have been raised. I have preferred not to respond in the public domain, not as an admission of guilt, but out of respect for the due process and the ongoing investigations.

8. Notwithstanding some unforeseen outcomes, I remain resolute in my belief in the Ghanaian and African entrepreneurial spirit. I will therefore continue to lend my support and mentorship to inspire others who dare to dream and work towards the promise of Africa’s growth and transformation.

9. Meanwhile, as a believer in the rule of law, I will continue to cooperate with the mandated institutions of state as they complete their investigations. I am confident that in the process, the national interest and the rights of all parties involved will be protected.

Shalom, peace and life to you.

Signed,

Pastor Mensa Otabil.

14th August, 2018.

 

Ahotoronline/Ivan-Kyei Innocent

Check Also

Government postpones start of NaBCo programme again

Government has announced yet another postponement of the start of the Nation Builder Corps (NaBCO) …

Afia Kobi Nursing SRC accuses Tafo Municipal Assembly of brutalizing students

The Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem Nursing Training School in the Ashanti Region is the scene …

KNUST lecturers cane students, others ordered to kneel in rain – Concerned Katangees

Former students of KNUST have catalogued abuses students suffer which triggered violent protest Monday. A …

Leave Your Comment

%d bloggers like this: